CURRENT EVENTS

We meet once a quarter (November, February, May, and August) at Carrow Baptist Church on the first Tuesday of the month, 7PM.

20070116

Suspicious Phone Call

I wanted to alert you all to a phone call I believe to be a scam. I personally just received a suspicious phone call it was from someone representing themselves as a charity to assist families of police killed in the line of duty. He let me know he wanted to send me one of their decals and a donation slip and asked if it would be OK to do that. I said there must be a reason you need to ask my permission because most mail solicitors don't ask they just mass mail. He said because we need to verify your information. I asked him if he needed me to give him my information or if he already had it. He stated he already had my information and then, told me my address. He asked again if it would be OK to mail this out to me. This really seemed suspicious to me so, I asked are you marking a predetermined donation amount on that form and then, billing me and he said yes. So, I declined the offer.
I see how many people may just say yes, you can send a donation slip to me thinking if I am not interested I will just throw it away. However, this man was trying to get me to say yes to a very vague question without letting me know I was actually committing to a dollar amount and being billed. I just thought you all should be aware in the event this solicitor contacts you.
Stay Safe!

I have researched this a little further and this is a scam.....report it if you receive calls.
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/News/
press/PR_details.asp?PrID=2536

http://whocalled.us/lookup/8042259092

No comments:

VOLUNTEER TODAY

Carolanne Farm Civic League Volunteer Form